Pages

1/16/11

Goin on a gator hunt

How have we lived in Florida for almost 5 months and never seen a gator?  

Well we have now, 61 Gators to be exact.  

We have been wanting to go to the Everglades for a while.  Rumor was that Shark Valley was a perfect place to see a few Gators.  Boy was that a understatement!

The shark valley trail is a 15 mile loop.  Unfortunately we don't have a bike trailer so we had to make do with what we have and did a little relay.  Bryan ran 5, I ran 5, Bryan ran 5 while we switched off with the bike.  So pretty much I ran a measly 5 miles while my stud husband ran 10.  He had informed me that he didn't want to run any less than 10 because he just signed up for the Georgia Snickers marathon and needed a little training run.  I felt like a little kid again, riding next to my mom while she ran.  

Look at those teeth!



Just wanted to show how close they were to the trail!  It kind of freaked me out getting any closer.  
Try to spot the gator in the pic above.  It is a little difficult because my photography skills were slacking.  However, right after I took the pic, I was looking back at my camera and heard a giant splash.  It scared to bejeeves out of me!  Apparently Bryan's movement scared the gator and he went back in his swamp.  I thought he was going for the kill.

McKay pretty much slept the whole time, but started getting antsy towards the end.  I don't blame him.  


It was a great day.  We both decided that we don't want to leave Florida and regret not doing the things that were so close to us. 

Some other items on our Florida Bucket list:

Go kayaking at the park right across the street from our house
Go on an airboat ride
Go to disney world (that's mostly me, Bryan doesn't care so much and it is pretty expensive. If McKay was older I could justify it more).
Go deep sea fishing
Go to this sweet water park in Orlando
Go on a cheap cruise- however just found out that apparently they charge you full price for infants.  What in the world? 

That is all for now.  Happy Sunday

3 comments:

Kerri said...

I love reading your blog, love your cute sense of humor! I would be freaked out too with those gators so close! So glad you got to see them though! You are in great shape to be running 5 miles already, wow! Love and miss you guys!

Lyndsey said...

I am so impressed that you went on a little family jog/bike ride together. I am even more impressed that you got that close to the gators. Freaky. I would never. I'm too much a scardy cat. I want you to stay in Florida too! We aren't going to be able to visit you there before you leave!

JMay said...

Oh my gosh, that is surreal! I would so scared, hahaha